Project Engineer: Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger
The 12-story high-rise apartment building at 112 Centre Street in Brookline is home to a vibrant senior living community. The building’s envelope was experiencing a precarious and unsafe masonry situation due to movement and bulging of the brick veneer, compromising structural stability.
The Alpha Weatherproofing Solution: This project required two types of repairs: Structural Shoring including selective demolition, rebuilding, removal of shoring system, and interior finish work; and Structural Stabilization of the masonry bulge, plus interior finish work.
- Working in occupied apartments, the Alpha Team stabilized the exterior brick by installing interior shoring to manage the bulging
- Carbon Fiber Strengthening Strips were then installed to reinforce the existing structure
- Masonry was rebuilt after shoring was installed, to support existing building loading
- Interior finishes were replaced, incorporating remedial strengthening permanently installed in the structure
- Remedial structural reinforcements were fabricated and installed, to contain movement of the building’s masonry facade
- Alpha used pedestrian-protective staging below the work area, and completed the project safely and successfully.
Click here for a printer friendly PDF.