Architect:: Wessling Architects Property Manager: Jones Lang Lasalle
The Challenge: Replace failed joint sealant, rout and seal cracks in precast concrete façade panels and apply two coats of 100% solids clear water repellent penetrating sealer to the precast concrete façade panels -- all while not disturbing operations in two buildings at Sun Life’s U.S. Headquarters.
The Alpha Weatherproofing Solution:
- Achieved access to work locations on the building facade using a combination of quiet-running swing staging, boom lifts and a tracked boom lift for the difficult-access main entrance
- Rigged difficult-access atriums with engineered box beams capable of supporting the cantilevered swing staging
- Coordinated each staging drop with the Sun Life Property Manager, to minimize or eliminate disruption to employees
- Worked in high traffic areas and loading docks during off-hours, eliminating disruption to Sun Life employees.
- Applied a two-component, non-sag, polyurethane elastomeric sealant capable of +/- 50% joint movement
- &Applied a clear sealer consisting of 100% solids, breathable, penetrating water repellent, to provide maximum long-term protection against salt corrosion, mildew, water, wind driven rain, airborne contaminants, surface spalling from freeze/thaw cycles and other extreme weather conditions
- Power-washed building façade to remove dirt and surface contaminants
- Replaced failed joint sealant at select locations
- Routed and sealed cracks in precast concrete façade panels
- Repaired any spalled/damaged concrete
- &Applied two coats of clear water repellent penetrating sealer
The Successful Result:
This project was completed on time and under budget, providing a façade waterproofing system that can stand up to New England's harsh climate.
Click here for a printer friendly PDF.